Thursday, September 10, 2009

Every day in every way we are getting better!

I want to go on record as saying that I'm extremely grateful for all the support I've received while here in Saskatoon because of my Ovarian cancer.
My parents have fed me and looked after me, my friends and family have all been an incredible support for me, and I have felt the grace of the prayers that are being said nearly all over the world.
I had a very dramatic surgery, and I have to say I felt quite a lot of immediate relief from the discomfort I had been experiencing over the past several months. Lost 20-25 pounds in one afternoon! Today I started chemotherapy and I actually had quite a lovely day. Even though I was somewhat psyched up for it - knowing I'm doing everything I can do and using all available resources to fight the cancer - I was rather dreading today. Because of big black irrational fear, really. I have to tell you all that there really is nothing to dread. I lay in a comfy bed watching Flipper, Lassie and doing crossword puzzles and snoozing all day while they fed me my medication intravenously. I felt well and, besides somewhat sleepy, completely comfortable. The nurses were great - I enjoyed my own assigned nurse, who reminded Peter of Carol Burnette. The worst they want me to suffer is feeling somewhat run down - anything worse than that and they want it dealt with quickly so that I can eat healthily and be ready for my next treatments. Nearly every time I talk to anyone they say "Oh Ovarian Cancer - my mom had that 35 years ago, or my sister had that 10 years ago, and she's fine now." When my mother died of Ovarian cancer 45 years ago, they did not yet have chemotherapy, and in recent years they have really fine-tuned the chemotherapy treatments for every kind of cancer.

So you see, everyone, there's lots of reason for hope and gratitude. Nothing to fear except fear itself. God is in control.

Thank -you all and God bless you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi mommy

Judy said...

How's it going Joanne? Are you still feeling okay?

Anonymous said...

Mostly just really achey. I hear this stage should just last a couple more days, then I should feel better. My legs just ache like crazy.
Went to Sunday Mass today for the first time in a few weeks, so that was good.
This is me, not Daniel.

Heather said...

Thanks for the update! We've been getting updates from Judy but it is nice to hear from you too! Hope you are feeling alright today - we'll keep on praying!

"egglady" said...

The fear of "fear" is such a biggie! I am reading "Fearless" right now by Max Lucado and it is such an encouraging book.