Saturday, September 19, 2009

Early Thanksgiving!

Today, at about 11:45, my friend Jane, who knows we eat our big meal at noon, showed up with a complete turkey dinner. I mean complete - with potatoes, carrots, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, cake, cookies, jello, plus some already cleaned and shucked vegetables from her garden. It was absolutely amazing. I just stood and said, "Wow. WOW. . . WOW!"
It seemed so funny on a Saturday at noon to be sitting down to a turkey dinner. Funny, but very good. Mark came in for dinner, and I ran a plate out to Peter in the combine.
A number of years ago, I remember hearing a talk about serving with the Midas touch. That means not just serving, but really making an effort to make your service shine.
It is bringing home to me again how God blesses us abundantly. I keep getting convicted about how thoughtless I've been in the past, how I don't deserve any of this, but God does it not because we deserve it. He blesses us because He loves us. There is absolutely no other explanation. At first, a few weeks ago, I kept thinking, "Now what can I do to pay this person back, or that person," but I've gotten to the point where I've completely given up. There isn't anything I can possibly do to pay anyone back - it's WAY beyond me. All I can do is be grateful, like a little child, and maybe pray for everyone.

3 comments:

Genevieve said...

Hey Joanne! Just read your blogs! What an amazing woman you are!! God has certainly blessed US with YOU! Keep enjoying that Turkey:) Love YOU!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Just the thought of that complete turkey meal makes my mouth water... Do you think Jane would be interested in bringing some over here?

-Bob

hs hatter said...

Wow, you're an amazing lady! I was so impressed with your positive attitude that I wanted to read more and ended up reading about gophers 3 years ago! It feels a bit like reading someone's diary (I'm new at this) but also feels like reading a good book because you're such a great writer. You should write an article for the November Wisdom magazine - the topic is Grace and it sounds like you've some experience with that, judging from the way you've handled everything you've gone through lately. We're praying for you.