Monday, May 29, 2006

a new era in laundry

Well, our old washing machine finally bit the dust. Actually it didn't bite the dust - I just told my husband it did bite the dust, then he hauled it downstairs and out to the garage, and then we discovered that it was the drier that was responsible for the black greasy (orc-lips, we call them affectionately) stains we were getting all over our laundry. After which, he refused to haul anything but a new washing machine back up again, just in case it happens to bite the dust next week.
Saying good-bye to our old washing machine has put me into a thoughtful mood. This is the same washing machine I accidentally washed our iron in several years ago. Peter took me into the laundry room and showed me the little picture of an iron with an "x" over it that means you are not supposed to wash irons. Or does it? Anyway, both the iron and the washing machine still worked afterwards.
This is the same washing machine that belonged to our household of five single women before I married Peter. When we were dating, he used to run downstairs regularly to redistribute the load for us because it was dancing around the laundry room.
It has since washed countless diapers for us and more recently, countless pairs of jeans.
I have a temporary apartment-sized washing machine now in the basement, where I merely have to wrestle with the mice for the laundry.
I look forward to getting a new washing machine. Really. But it's the end of an era and I can't help but reminisce.

3 comments:

Judy said...

The worst thing is when crayons go through the washer and dryer. They start to melt in the dryer and then you get streaks of colour on your whole load of laundry.

Anonymous said...

So you're NOT supposed to wash irons? How do you clean them then? The dishwasher?

auntie jeranne said...

or dirty kleenex - that's another thing!