Thursday, May 11, 2006

Hymn Thing

I thought I'd start out my blogspot with a true confession. I am a closet hymn lover. It began when I was a teenager, and has persisted through my whole adult life, through my various stages as a United Church person, then as a Charismatic Christian, and on into my Catholic life.
You see, I credit hymns with a lot of my personal formation. All kinds of ideas have been infused into me via hymns - granted the ideas came from Scripture and tradition, and people may have learned these things from books or elsewhere. Let me give you an example: when I am weak I am strong. I learned this first from "Jesus loves me", then from "Lord of all Power".
How many of you know that the "Divine Pelican" is a title of Jesus? If you don't that would be because we don't sing "Adoro te Devote" anymore. The original, I mean. St. Thomas Aquinas included a verse about the Divine Pelican. There is a legend that if a pelican is unable to find food for her young, she will peck her own breast and pour out her own blood to feed them, causing her own death. I don't know if pelicans really do this, but this is where the title for Jesus came from.
I promise not to go on too often about this, but I just had to tell everyone right off the bat. Anyone have any comments?

3 comments:

Judy said...

I like them too. The words were so eloquent,and had profound meaning that made a lot of them stand the test of time "In this Thy bitter passion, dear Savior think of me". "Amazing Grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me." He said wretch,he meant wretch.He had been a slave trader,the man that wrote Amazing Grace.

Raymundo said...

I know that you're a hymn lover that's why you married Peter.

Raymundo said...

Yes I can:

1) Click on the Blogger Icon in the upper left-hand corner.
2) You'll have to sign in ...once you've signed on you'll be taken to the "Dashboard"
3) Click on to "New Post" (green cross)
4) Voila ...create and then click "Publish Post" at the bottom.

Hope this works, if someone has an easier way, please share.