Tuesday, May 16, 2006

it's me

it's me
This is fun. I was watching my son play t-ball the other day. His team won something like 30 - 8, and the coach told them it was a tie. You see, the coaches have a policy of always telling the kids that the game was a tie, so that they don't get too competitive. I heard one little boy lean over and tell the person beside him "When coach says that, it means we lost." It seemed so funny that he didn't notice the Fox Valley boys going around and around and around the bases. I'm wondering if it really is such a good thing to never tell the kids when they win or lose. It seems to me that one really good lesson for a child to learn is how to win or to lose graciously. What do you think?

3 comments:

Judy said...

When I was a Beaver leader they taught us that boys that age are at a developemental age where competition isn't necessarily helpful and that it's a good age to focus on learning teamwork and "Sharing,Sharing,Sharing".

auntie jeranne said...

Tonight when reporting on his cousins' ballgame, David said "They lost by five points, but coach lied and said it was a tie again!"

Raymundo said...

Maybe they should just not keep score and that way they wouldn't have to lie.
They could just say "It doesn't matter, we're not keeping score."