Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Poetry

Speaking of depressing poetry, (We were!) I came across a song today that so fit the bill, I decided to refrain from writing such a thing myself. I'm not at all depressed; someone else brought up this subject and I thought I would try to take it up!
Here goes: Better Than What? subtitled The Chemotherapy Song

So on to the next step, it's called chemotherapy
taken by mouth and IV
It lowers the chance of recurrence which
makes it sound pretty inviting to me
The word "Chemotherapy" sounds so benign
like a gentle and comforting mix
But chemo can best be described as a trip
to Chernobyl in late '86.

This song actually has six verses, all about the side effects of chemotherapy, but I think I might just spare you. It was written by a lady who had cancer and survived and thought she might like to try to encourage others. The next song on the CD is entitled "Radiation Therapy." It did help me quite a bit - it struck me funny and I've been laughing quite a bit today when I think of it.

I'm still feeling quite well, I just find that I stay worn out a lot longer than I did for the first few treatments. Only 2 left! Yahoo!

4 comments:

Judy said...

Glad you're feeling not too bad.
The poem you shared was really bad.
I bet you could write a better one.
About how chemo's almost done.

Connie said...

You are too funny, Joanne. I love the song, twisted as it may be. We just celebrated Thanksgiving, so I want to tell you how thankful I am for you and for the wonders of chemo. May God bless you and your family in your life out in the wheat fields.

Mariette said...

Laughter is the best medicine, so they say, but having lots of time to rest doesn't hurt either! :)

I'm tired all the time too, and I'm not doing chemo--what's my excuse? (As Maureen McL. says: "Too many birthdays" ha ha)

May you have a peaceful and lovely Advent season, Joanne!

Love and hugs,
Mariette

Anonymous said...

Any chance you can post a link to the whole song? I heard it on the radio today, but wanted to share it with a friend battling cancer.

Thanks!