Thursday, October 05, 2006

Anything Worth Doing

One of my most recent pet peeves is the fact that so many conversations are so little worth having. I'm the most pathetic person in the earth to be talking about this, but I wish to rediscover the fine art of initiating and fostering good discussion and conversation. I mean thoughtful, thought-provoking, interesting and worthwhile.
So, to that end, I'm going to quote SOMEONE ELSE since I don't have a clue what to say.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." What do you think?
I think I exemplify this pithy saying to perfection. For example, one of my responsibilities at Daily Mass is to choose and lead the entrance and recessional hymns. I just do it without accompaniment, from where I'm standing, so I don't even have a piano to hide behind. This is not good because I don't have a fine voice. In fact, it is rather pathetic. However, I really want my boys to learn lots of good hymns, and it doesn't really seem to happen elsewhere in our daily lives, so it seems a good opportunity. So, even though I don't do it well, I do it because it seems to me to be worth doing. My nieces, nephew, and sister-in-law like to learn hymns, too.
Fortunately, my husband and my sons have fine voices, so as long as I get everybody started on the right note, they can carry it.
We were always taught that "anything worth doing is worth doing well," and I can see that, too, but the reverse, a quotation from G.K. Chesterton, just cuts the mustard for me.

No comments: